1947, January - foundation of the Museum (Resolution No. 42 of the USSR Council of Ministers of 1947 "On Perpetuating the Memory of N.E. Zhukovsky and the 100th Anniversary of his Birth").
1956, January - official opening of the Museum as a part of TsAGI. 1956, December - the completion of the restoration and start of the presentation of the main exhibit of the Museum, the Otto Lilienthal’s glider (the original).
А bronze bust of N.E. Zhukovsky was installed at the entrance to the Museum. The granite pedestal bears the inscription: "A man will fly, relying not on the strength of his muscles, but on the strength of his mind. N. E. Zhukovsky ". The authors - sculptor G.V. Neroda and architect I.A.Frantsuz. А grey granite plaque with bas-relief bronze portrait of the scientist and inscription "The father of Russian aviation Nikolai Yegorovich Zhukovsky worked in this house in 1915-1920". The authors were sculptor V.P. Barkov and architect Y.S. Sokolov.
Start of the International Aviation and Space Science and Humanities Seminar named after S.M. Belotserkovsky in the museum. The Seminar was established by TsAGI named after Prof. N.E. Zhukovsky, All-Russian Aviation Institute named after Prof. N.E. Zhukovsky and Scientific Memorial Museum of N.E. Zhukovsky.
1968, January - Yuri A. Gagarin, the first cosmonaut, visited the Museum.
1979 April - opening of a Moscow branch of the Museum - Museum-apartment of Academician Sergey Chaplygin.
The museum joined the Science and Technology Museums Section of the Russian Committee of the International Council of Museums.
The first exhibit of the museum is acknowledged as a monument of science and technology.
The Scientific Memorial Museum of Professor N.E. Zhukovsky became a Moscow branch of the K.E. Tsiolkovsky State Museum of the History of Cosmonautics in Kaluga.
For more than 40 years, since its foundation, the Museum was headed by Nadezhda Matveyevna Semenova, Honoured Worker of Culture of the RSFSR, under whose leadership the Museum gained authority among the aviation community. She was one of the organizers of the museums of Zhukovsky in Moscow and in his homeland in the village of Orekhovo, the museum flat of Academician S. Chaplygin and the museum of the General Designer, Academician A.N. Tupolev.
Thanks to N.M. Semenova a priceless historical artifact was saved – a glider of German aviation pioneer Otto Lilienthal, removed during the “fight against cosmopolitanism” from the exhibition of the Central House of Aviation to an unheated room. It was with extraordinary energy and enthusiasm that the life and scientific legacy of the founders of the national school of aerodynamics Zhukovsky, Chaplygin and their many pupils, the creators of various branches of aviation science, were carefully researched.
Input your search keywords and press Enter.